Facts and Stats about Safe Horizon
Each year, Safe Horizon touches the lives of more than 250,000 victims of violence, helping them move from crisis to confidence by:
Providing 24-hour Lifelines to Crime Victims
- We respond to over 163,000 calls on our Safe Horizon Domestic Violence, Crime Victims and Rape and Sexual Assault Hotlines. Average Response Time: 10 seconds.
- We provide nearly 15,000 links to shelter through our Domestic Violence Hotline.
Helping Victims of Domestic Violence, Trafficking and Rape
- We provide emergency shelter to more than 2,000 children and families fleeing domestic violence.
- We provide support and advocacy for nearly 50,000 victims of domestic violence.
- We investigate more than 4,000 cases of child sexual or physical abuse.
- We help over 1,300 rape and sexual assault survivors.
- We provide expert support and guidance in an average of 75 cases of trafficking.
- We train over 175 executives at more than 75 companies about the impact of domestic violence on the workplace and how to address it.
Helping Children and Youth Prevent and Cope with Violence
- We teach more than 575 workshops on violence prevention to over 1,200 middle and high school students across the city.
- We reach over 12,000 students and adults in school communities throughout New York City to promote messages of safety and support.
- We make more than 19,000 outreach contacts with homeless and street-involved youth.
- We distribute 45,000 meals and provide practical services and counseling to more than 1,300 homeless youth.
- We provide lifesaving compassionate services to 26,000 children.
Helping Families and Individuals Impacted by Crime and Abuse
- We assist 50,000 individuals with court orientation, criminal justice advocacy, emergency financial assistance, and referrals.
- We provide more than 22,000 meals and free, supportive, educational child-care for children while their parents or guardians attend court.
- We counsel more than 400 individuals and their families who have been victims of crime and abuse.
- We provide intensive legal representation in more than 1,300 cases, relating to orders of protection, U Visas, trafficking visas, custody, visitation, and child support.
- We provide nearly 4,000 hours of trauma-focused therapy for children and families.
- We conduct more than 1,350 court-mandated sessions for convicted batterers, to encourage them to be accountable for their violent behavior.
- We counsel an average of 1,000 children, adults and families who lost loved ones to homicide and violent crime.
- We help more than 11,000 clients peacefully resolve their disputes through mediation and provide mediation training to nearly 3,000 representatives of city agencies and community-based organizations.